With the market ever increasing with new businesses and the time of year where you get cold callers at your door step, it’s really important to select wisely on any trade person you employ. With people sometimes opting for a cheaper job, sometimes this can actually work out more expensive in the long run.
You cannot solely rely on tradesman referral sites (as sometimes feedback is not 100% accurate and their standard of work may not always be checked thoroughly) or indeed newspaper advertisements, social media etc. It’s always wise to obtain referrals from individuals or companies that have used a service provider before and have had a good experience. Referrals always speak volumes.
There are many schemes which are marketed out there and in our industry of cleaning, there is competition of course, but the consumer is quite often unaware of the standards that should be provided when having carpets or furnishings cleaned. As North Star are an advanced member of the National Carpet Cleaners Association, we have attained accreditation to meet certain service standards. Therefore, we are trained to BSI PAS86 Standards and we put this training into practice as a standard level of cleaning service. Other companies may not work to this standard and will offer a much lower price to attract the consumer and if you’re lucky, may at best only provide one or two elements of the code of practice PAS86. They would then look to upsell other elements. There is a term called “Bait and Switch” which is illegal, whereby you may get an offer of an extremely low price and then they start adding add-ons to this which puts the price up. Sometimes you will not even be aware of this fact until they arrive on your door step and you feel under pressure to turn them away or say no!
Some of the key things to look for are:
- Is the company certified by a reliable organization such as TACCA, IICRC or NCCA or an equally reliable accreditation? If the answer is no, then they may not have sufficient knowledge and training to do the job.
- Are they fully insured and licensed? You can request to see their insurance if you are in doubt.
- Do they use non toxic and environmentally friendly products? Are their products BS rated or equivalent?
- What do consumers say about them? Check customer feedback on review sites such as one of the trade bodies in the cleaning industry (as above).
- Does the company upsell any unnecessary services? Do they come across as pushy? Some companies will offer you services that you do not need.
- If it’s too good to be true (i.e. really cheap) then that’s a red flag!
- Test their knowledge. Observe their suggestions, timing and their confidence in their response.
Bait and Switch Advertising and Consumer Laws can be explained more in this link:- https://consumer.laws.com/deceptive-advertising/bait-and-switch-advertising
- 01795 511945 Main Office
- 01795 602 322 Swale
- 01634 926 322 Medway
- 01622 962 322 Maidstone
- 01322 686 322 Dartford & Bexley